Monday 13 May 2013

Freelance Tales – Networking (part two)

You’ve all read Networking (part one) haven’t you? No? Then go ahead and read it … I’ll wait.


People network for different reasons. People network differently in different groups.


Try and think why you want to join a network, what you hope to get out of it and even what you hope to put into it. Do this before you join and you’ll get a better return for your money.


I’m a member of Pink Link Ladies for the social interaction, the help and advice and the giggles. I am also a member of my local ESTA group, however, I joined that to make local connections with companies who feel and work like I do and to create a better community for my local area.


When you join a network please don’t think that you will immediately get referrals and customers, often it doesn’t work like that. In today’s business world it is a lot about making connections and building relationships and it doesn’t happen overnight. Increasingly I feel that people buy from people they know and (more importantly) trust.


So don’t be all ‘sell, sell, sell’ take the time to get to know the other members, start conversations, find mutual points of interest. It may be slow and steady but those connections you make will stand the test of time.


http://ifttt.com/images/no_image_card.png

No comments:

Post a Comment